PTC PCC #2743

PTC #2743

Rockhill Trolley Museum Photo

Car 2743 was built by the St. Louis Car Co. in 1947 using a 1945 design. It has small windows above the main passenger windows which were called standee windows. PCC trolleys featured a smoother ride than the older trolleys, faster acceleration, a reduced noise level and comfortable seating. Most PCC cars built were single-ended, meaning that main controls were located only at one end of the car, with shop movement controls (or no controls at all) in the rear. Turning loops were required at the end of all lines in order to have the car traveling in the correct direction. A total of 210 such cars were built in a 1947 order for the Philadelphia Transportation Co.

See More Items About Car: 

Pages