NJT PCC #6

New Jersey Transit PCC Car #6

Rockhill Trolley Museum Photo

The car which would become Public Service Coordinated Transport (PSCT) #6 was originally ordered by the Twin City Rapid Transit Company of Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota in January 1945 as car #325, part of an order for 40 cars from the St. Louis Car Company. Twin City Rapid Transit specified extra wide cars (9 feet), with both gongs as well as electric horns, galvanized steel carbodies to help deter corrosion during the harsh winter conditions in which the car would operate, and backup controllers, which are small auxiliary controllers located behind the rear seat for safer operation in reverse. Twin City Rapid Transit had several lines that terminated at wyes, necessitating lengthy operation in reverse. Electrical equipment for this order was split between General Electric and Westinghouse, and this order of cars was built with conductor’s booths for two-man operation. St. Louis Car Company completed the cars as order #1653 in December 1946 and the cars entered service in January 1947 on the “Interurban” line which connected Minneapolis and St. Paul. The cars cost $20,539 each.

See More Items About Car: 

NJT PCC #6 Acquisition Fund Donation Form

Rockhill Trolley Museum Photo

Rockhill Trolley Museum is seeking donations for acquisition and transportation of the car to Rockhill Furnace, as well as to fund touch up work to improve the appearance of the vehicle before it enters the museum’s operating fleet. Barring any unforeseen conditions found during preparation of the car for operation, the museum’s goal is to have the car return to public operation this summer.

Apr 14, 2011
(345kb PDF)

NJT PCC #6 Press Release

The Rockhill Trolley Museum is happy to announce the acquisition of former New Jersey Transit/Transport New Jersey/Public Service Coordinated Transport PCC Car #6. This historic car was acquired from New Jersey Transit via the Friends of the New Jersey Transportation Heritage Center for preservation, display, and public operation at the museum’s location in the Allegheny Mountains of south-central Pennsylvania.

Apr 14, 2011
(14kb PDF)

Pages